Information on library membership and facilities
- Free membership
- Paid membership
- Documents to bring
- Account period and renewal
- Forgotten your password?
- Loss or theft of your LU-Card
A valid library membership allows you to use the various library facilities provided by the Leiden University Libraries (UBL). Visitors who want to consult the Leiden University archives only do not need a library membership.
Leiden University students and staff, KITLV staff, and LUMC staff
Leiden University students and staff and KITLV staff and research fellows are automatically registered for library membership. A LU-Card is needed to use the library facilities.
LUMC and Rivierduinen staff have to apply for a LU-Card via the LUMC Walaeus library.
Leiden University alumni
Leiden University alumni can continue to use most of the libraries’ facilities free of charge. Please consult the libraries' alumni webpage for more information
No membership fee is required for:
- Leiden University external PhD candidates
- Leiden University Professors Emeriti
- Staff of Leiden museums, the National Library of the Netherlands (KB), and KNAW and NWO research institutes
- Members of the Maatschappij der Nederlandse Letterkunde, de Vereniging KITLV (Learned Society), and the Società Dante Alighieri
- Members of Friends of Leiden University Libraries who pay a yearly contribution of €95 or more
- Individuals enrolled in a language course at the Leiden University Academic Language Centre
- Staff and students of Dutch universities affiliated with VSNU
- Students of Dutch universities of applied sciences affiliated with the Vereniging Hogescholen
Anyone interested in using the UBL facilities can obtain a library account and LU-Card at one of the libraries' LU-Card helpdesks for a fee of €30 per year.
Upon registering or renewing your membership please bring personal identification (passport, ID-card or Dutch driver’s licence) and proof of your current residential address. Should you (still) qualify for free membership please bring proof of eligibility.
A UBL membership is usually valid for one year; for students at Dutch universities the account period matches the academic year. The account period can be extended at one of the UBL desks.
Account Self Service offers you the option to reset your password, provided that you meet the requirements such as having set up a number of security questions.
It is also possible to apply for a new ULCN password with this online request form, or in person at one of the library desks. Please bring a valid ID. For more information see the ULCN website.
In case of loss or theft of your LU-Card please inform one of the LU-Card helpdesks immediately. The card will be blocked to prevent misuse. A replacement card can be obtained at the LU-Card helpdesk for a fee of €15. In case of theft this fee is waived, provided that you can show a police report.